EPUB is the most widely supported file format for publishing accessible documents and digital books, allowing people to consume long-form content in their preferred apps on a diverse range of screen sizes and devices, including smartphones, tablets, and eReaders.
Step 1: Format Google Doc
Use Heading Styles
Write your document. When you use headings to divide your document into sections, your document is easier for people to navigate, particularly if they rely on keyboard shortcuts. You can use the default heading styles or create your own.
Google Docs is designed to work well with screen readers and other assistive technologies. The built-in features can make your document easier to read.
How to format a paragraph with a heading style
You can use headings to designate sections of your document. Along with titles and text, you can customize Headings 1 - 6 in the styles toolbar menu.
- Highlight the paragraph you want to change into a heading.
- Go to Format > Paragraph styles > select style. Alternately, expand the styles drop-down menu from the toolbar.
Insert a table of contents
A table of content lists all of your document’s headings in order at the top of your document. When you click a heading name in the table of contents, you’ll jump to that section of the document.
- Create headings in your document, following the steps listed above.
- Go to the Insert menu.
- Select Table of contents. A table of contents will be inserted at the top of your document.
Step 2: Export Google Doc as EPUB
Simply go to the File menu > Download as > EPUB Publication (.epub).
Step 3: Convert EPUB to MOBI for Kindle-supported devices (optional)
Feel free to give any of the free converter options available on the web. We tested calibre and it seems to work just fine. EPUB (.epub) files can be converted to MOBI (.mobi) by using the free software calibre by following these steps:
- Download the installer for calibre.
- Follow the prompts to Install calibre.
- Choose your prefered language.
- When prompted to choose your e-book device, select Generic.
- Click Add books and navigate to an .epub file.
- Select an entry from the Calibre library and click Convert books. Convert Publishing and sharing EPUB Publications window appears.
- From the top right, locate the Output format: menu and select MOBI.
- Edit Authors, Publisher fields, if necessary.
- Click OK.
- Select the converted file.
- Click Save to disk menu.
- Both EPUB and MOBI version of the publication are downloaded.
Share the EPUB file
Decide the best share your EPUB and/or MOBI publication.
- Publish on the web
- Send via email
- Upload to Google Drive and share with specific people