Back up your data. You'll be glad you did. There are multiple ways to do this:
- Store copies of your most critical files in your personal webfile.macalester.edu.
- External hard drives are not expensive. Buy one. Use it.
- Flash drives (a.k.a. “thumb drives”) are even cheaper. Buy two. Use both.
- Your computer's OS may have a built-in backup option, such as Apple's Time Machine.
- Check out 'cloud' storage solutions - some are cheap, some are free.
- Speaking of cloud storage, upload important files to your Google Drive.
- Consider burning your data to CD for archiving. Even if your computer doesn't have an optical drive, most public-access computers do.