Google Drive will soon replace and enhance what you know today as your Google Documents List. Google Drive is a new way to access and share all your files and folders, at any time and on any device. Over the next few weeks, all Macalester Google Apps users will gradually be asked, by Google, to switch to Google Drive. ITS will keep you up-to-date with useful timelines and additional information, but also encourages users to make the switch when you are ready to get comfortable with this enhanced service.
Basic Differences between Google Drive and Google Documents List
The Google Drive online interface looks similar to the Google Documents List you're used to, with a few key differences:
- Collections are now called Folders.
- When you first switch to Google Drive, a new folder called My Drive contains:
- Documents that you own or have previously uploaded
- Folders you own and the items contained within (regardless of ownership)
- Other items that would have previously appeared in the Home view can easily be found elsewhere. You can choose different views and filters to see recently opened documents, starred items, documents that have been shared with you, items owned by a particular person, files of a particular type, and more.
- You'll have powerful new options to search, sort, or preview your files before opening them.