ITS staff will replace the college's SAN (Storage Area Network) starting at 1:00 PM on Friday June 12 and ending at 1:00 PM on Saturday June 13.
this period of time all servers (e.g. Banner, 1600grand, DegreeWorks)
and network drives (e.g. G:, H:, M:) will be inaccessible. If you need
to use files stored in the network drives during that time, please move
them to your local device (e.g. tablet, laptop, desktop).
to the Internet, Slate, and email will not be affected during this
period. If you have questions, please contact Ramón Rentas, email@example.com or 696-6633.
Friday, May 22, 2015
Wednesday, May 6, 2015
Updates to core Google Apps and the major services like Google+. Also major updates that may affect the Macalester community.
Every collection is a focused set of posts on a particular topic, providing an easy way for people using Google+ to organize their interests and focus areas.
Improve your Slides presentations with two new animations: Appear and Disappear.
Modern students do everything online and it is time their syllabi followed suit.
News about other Google products and technology.
The Timeful team has built an impressive system that helps you organize your life by understanding your schedule, habits and needs.
April 24, 2015: On the anniversary of Isaac Newton’s knighthood, we imagine his research in a Google Apps universe.
Google Business news, including policies, user privacy, politics and legal issues.
There’s good news for Netflix lovers.
Google has summarized the key findings from a study performed with the University of California, Berkeley and Santa Barbara, that examines the ad injector ecosystem, as well as Google’s broader efforts to protect users from unwanted software.
Google supports this measure as introduced, the USA Freedom Act of 2015, and we urge Congress to move expeditiously to enact it into law.
A search engine called Vurb, meant for mobile phones, aims to take several common queries and group them for users.
Google has spent the last few years tweaking its search engine for mobile screens. Now it is trying to get advertisers to join in.
Read what Google is doing make its workforce, and the tech industry, more diverse.
Other Google side projects, including art, science and fun stuff.
May 5, 2015: Google Doodle honors the 151st birthday of Nellie Bly, a woman who proved that stunt journalism isn’t always a bad thing.
May 4, 2015: Google Doodle
Here’s a roundup of all Apps launches from April 2015
Through the Google lens: Search trends April 17-23, 2015
Monday, May 4, 2015
- Upon your request, a single-line, non-display, corded phone will be installed.
- Residence hall and house phones can dial campus, local, and 911 calls only.
- To call a long distance number from a residence hall or house campus phone, a calling card is required (students are responsible for purchasing their own long-distance calling card).
- Sharing a phone may be required when multiple students residing in the same room request a phone.
- Requested telephone and voice mail service is made available at no cost to students.
- Caller ID is not available in residence halls or houses.
- Campus public phones are located on every floor of residence halls and in each house. These phones allow on-campus, local, and 911 calls only.
- Kirk Hall phones are installed in the common room and NOT in the individual bedrooms.
- GDD Hall phones are installed in the individual bedrooms and NOT in the common room.
- Summit House phones are in the bedrooms and NOT in the common areas.
- Phones have already been installed in the common areas of on-campus houses. Requests to install additional phones cannot be honored.
How to request telephone and voice mail service
- Complete and submit the Telecom Service Request Form to request telephone service.
- You will be sent an email notification with further instructions when your request is completed.
- For more information, go to http://www.macalester.edu/its/internet-telephone/telephone/.
What types of calls can I make with a Residence Hall/House and public access phone?
- Twin Cities area, including area codes 612, 651, 763, and 952
- No long distance or international calls calls
Will I be charged when someone calls my residence hall phone?
No, you will not be charged when someone calls your residence hall phone. Give your residence hall phone number out to your friends and family. If they are calling from outside the Twin Cities, they may be charged for calling you by their phone service provider.